Monday, September 26, 2011

Where did this month go?

So, I thought it had only a week or so since I last posted......man, where did this month go? I guess we have been busier than I realized. We finally found schools for the kids and one offers some great ministry opportunities. We also finally got our one year visas (excited screaming and cheering in the background)!!! I also started meeting with a language helper that speaks only Bulgarian with me. We have also been on two cultural outings, so.....yea, I guess we have been busy.
Okay, I'll start with the visas. It was long and tedious process. Mostly because Steven had to go to the police station at least 2 times a week to check on the status of them. They don't give out a phone number to just call and check, you have to physically go there and ask in person. No problem for someone with a car, but for us it took at least 45min to an hour each way. That is a total of 1 1/2 hrs. to hear someone behind a window say, "No, no reply yet." For those of you who know my sweet husband, you know how much this irked him. He detested taking all that time twice a week for nothing. In the end it paid off though. The last time he met with the police chief, the man said, "Yeah, I know this case and I am tired of hearing about it. Go check and see if they are ready." Basically, he made sure they were ready so he wouldn't have to see us again. He was nice about it, but funny.
Now, about the kids school. School started here on Sept. 15th. Well, we still didn't have visas at this time, and the public school was requiring Audrey and Jonathan to have it before they could apply. So, we were left with the dilemma; leave them out of school until we get the visas (not knowing how long it could take), or find a private school for them. After prayer and seeking counsel, we decided on the later. Looking back I can see how this was God's plan all along. If Audrey would have been in the public class she would have been in a class of 29 students. There is no way the teacher would have had the time to spend with her to help her learn the language. Now, Audrey is in a class with 3 other girls. That's the entire class, just 4 girls. Audrey is very rarely in group where the majority of kids are girls, let alone only girls. She is LOVING it! The teacher is also very nice and speaks a little English. However, she only speaks Bulgarian to Audrey unless more explanation is needed for an assignment. Jonathan is in the class right next door to Audrey's and they have PE and Art class together. Jonathan's class is also small so he is able to receive the attention he needs to learn the language as well. I told Steven that it is only a matter of time now before they have both passed up our language skills.
Eli just started going to a Montesorri school right up the road from our apt. The owners are Bulgarian, but lived in South Africa for 12 years, so they also speak very good English. The school is taught in Bulgarian, but they try to incorporate other languages as well. When Steven met the owner he mentioned my background in education and the owner was very interested. When I met her she offered me a position working at the school so Eli could attend for free. I was thrilled!!! Not only would I be able to get back into a classroom, but Eli would be able to attend for free. I will be helping out on Mon. and Fri. so as not to interfere with my language classes, but told them I might be able to rearrange my lessons to come other days for special events. They want me to teach the kids some songs in English and just talk with them in English. I can do that! I am very excited about the many ministry opportunities I will have with this class of children and teachers!
I have also started meeting with a language helper. Basically this is someone to help me practice what I am learning. I have met with her 5 times and love getting to know her. Her name is Maya, and she has an 18 month old daughter. She was involved in a student exchange program in the states, so she speaks very good English and is able to correct my mistakes and even help me with some new vocabulary. I am looking forward to opportunities to share with her.
Wow, am I still writing?? I guess I should write something about Steven huh? Well, he is doing good. He passed me up in language classes, and now knows a lot more verbs than I do. Kind of upset me at first, but very proud of him at the same time. We have had many chances to get out of the city and practice our language and are now able to conduct basic business all in Bulgarian. We went on a day trip to a little village about an hour and a half outside of Sofia. We didn't reserve a room anywhere, just being spontaneous, so when we arrived we walked around until we found one we liked. Steven did the entire transaction in Bulgarian!! We also got to go to a bio-farm where they made their own fresh cheeses, yogurt and latsenitsa. They made lunch for us after we toured the farm and looked at the cows, goat, puppies, chickens, horses, and calf. Ohhhhh my....it was so good. The table was set with fresh milk form that mornings milking, yogurt that was made just the day before, and cheese that was so tasty. All while overlooking an amazing view of the mountains. I must say, God called us to a beautiful country, and a very hospitable people group.
Okay, I guess that is it for now. I know now not to wait so long between posts, or this is what you end up with. A long rambling of the past months activities. Sorry. If you managed to stay with me till the end I salute you. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment